2014 Edition - A Year of Reading in Review - The Best

I think we all know what this list is, right? So I’m just gonna cut right to the chase and let you read and enjoy!

NOTE: This year, I will be including my graphic novel selections with my other format novels. Because of this, I have bumped up from Top 5 books to Top 10.

Top 10 Best Books of 2014 (in no particular order)

1. The Mad Scientist’s Daughter – This book would never have been without some fabulous reviews on Goodreads and my Kindle. TMSD was fantastic. It was a romantic novel, but it was also a thoughtful novel about humanity, artificial intelligence, and complicated human relations. I fell in love with Finn in this novel, and at the end, I was nearly in tears. THIS is EXACTLY the type of novel I love and adore.
  2. Saga Vol. 3 – Saga is freakin’ awesome. Volumes 1 and 2 were astoundingly good; Volume 3 keeps up that fever pitch and raises stakes, switches things up – in general, keeps this world exciting and complex and hugely unique. No disappointing sequel here, folks!
  3. Dangerous Girls by Abigail Haas – In my review, I likened this to Gone Girl for teens, which is probably the best descriptor I can give. It was intense and thrilling, and then ending just screwed up my head so badly I had to find a bunch of people to analyze it.
  4. Velvet Vol.1 – What if Miss Moneypenny from the 007 franchise was a kick-@$$ super-spy? Well, this is the comic you would have. I personally feel it is better than the 007 movies (I know, blasphemy but then I’m not the biggest 007 fan, so take that endorsement with a grain of salt).
  5. Wonder Woman Unbound – Earlier this year, I donned the Wonder Woman garb and cosplayed as our valiant heroine at two comic cons. But Wonder Woman is more than just a woman wearing no pants – she’s a complicated, fascinating character with a weird backstory. And this book was astoundingly great at peeling back the layers.
  6. Serenity: Leaves on the Wind – We won’t be getting any new Firefly TV series or movies soon, so thank Athena we get the comics instead. My relationship with the Firefly/Serenity comics has been tumultuous, but this was an ASTOUNDING comic, well-deserving of its Goodreads Choice Awards win.
  7. Avengers Assemble: The Forgeries of Jealousy – Hey, did you know I got to meet Kelly Sue Deconnick and have her sign my comics? HELLS YEAH, I did! Oh, and she does an awesome team-up with Warren Ellis too!
  8. Lazarus Vol. 1 – I really can see why so many people love Greg Rucka. He lives in Portland, he writes fantastic female characters, and he is the coolest guy in person (because yeah baby, I MET HIM TOO!). Lazarus is a new line that I’m REALLY ecstatic about.
  9. A Clash of Kings – I know everyone knows everything about Game of Thrones these days, since we are on, like, Season 4 of the series, but I’m just discovering it for the first time – and I love it! Last year, “A Game of Thrones” made it to my Notable Mentions; this year, it nabs a spot on the “Best of” list.
  10. Brain on Fire: My Month of Madness – This is one of the few book club selections I’ve actually liked. Just typing that makes me feel sad inside, but it’s unfortunately true. The author had a great, personable writing style, and I loved how smart and well-researched it was.

Notable mentions:

The Diviners – I was honestly really scared I wouldn’t like this, what with my bad luck in YA Urban Fantasy, but this was one of those books where it made me realize why I like to read YA and Urban Fantasy. The reason it doesn’t get a top spot is the conclusion, which seems to be fishing for people to return to the series.

Wonder Woman: The Hiketeia – I read many Wonder Woman comics, but none of them really stood out, and, as you’ll see tomorrow, some of them were awful. This one, by Greg Rucka (are we surprised?) was absolutely amazing.