2014 Edition - A Year of Reading in Review - Hidden Gems

Sometimes you crack open a book, sure you will hate it, and then suddenly, boom! You are sucked into the world and captivated. This list is to the books I was sure I would hate, but ended up falling in love with (or just really liking a lot).

Top 5 Hidden Gems

The Diviners – By the time I got to this one, I thought for sure I would hate it, as I pretty much have had zero success with young adult and urban fantasy. But Bray really pulled out the stops on her 20’s Urban Fantasy and won me over!

Usagi Yojimbo – This is one of those that I would never have found had it not been for a coworker lending it to me and saying, “Give it a shot!” I’m glad I did!

Blind Moon Alley – After years of not winning Goodreads Giveaways, this was one of the first I won! I entered because it was set in the Roaring Twenties, my favorite historical era.  I wasn’t sure what to expect – you never can with independent publishers or freebies – but I was very impressed with the 20’s flair and the diversity.

Red Sonja Vol 1: Queen of Plagues – Gail Simone wrote this, which is the key to what drew me in. I NEVER would have read it otherwise – armored bikini-clad woman?! NO THANK YOU! But Simone took a ridiculous concept and owned it, and more than that, did something I didn’t expect – she made me care!

The Mad Scientist’s Daughter – I’ve talked SO MUCH about this one, I think I’ve driven it into the dirt. Short story: I LOVED IT.