2014 Edition - A Year of Reading in Review - In Review

Now that I’ve done a pretty thorough job of looking back, it’s time to take that and look ahead to the future. What does 2015 have in store for me? What do I want to do with my reading life?

One thing is certain: comic books and graphic novels are definitely becoming more prominent in my life. I’m not sure if it’s because they’re fast and I have less time to read or if I’ve finally hit upon the authors I like – or both. I foresee that 2015 will see me reading more graphic novels and comics, probably even further refining my tastes. 2014 was a year of comic and graphic novel exploration; 2015 will be solidifying those bonds.

I do have some carry over goals from last year, as well. I want to continue to read through my Book Club books, as much as possible (which reminds me – I need to get started on The Magicians STAT!). However, if I can’t get a copy or don’t want to read it, I’ll deploy the DNF or just skip. There is no shame in doing that. I also plan on finishing off all those questionable YA books I bought in earlier years – namely the ones from yesterday’s list – and my Amazon Vine ARCs. And of course, I’ve signed up for the 2015 Mount TBR Challenge once again. I don’t think I’ll try for any more than 12 books from my TBR, but maybe I’ll be able to manage more.

I will continue to DNF as liberally as I need. I also will continue to limit physical book spending and focus more on buying books in ebook format – or rebuying in ebook and selling/donating my old books.

A lot of the same goals, but with a twist. Some new goals: a friend is reading all the Star Wars Legends books (I hate how “The EU Canon” is now “Star Wars Legends” – Screw you, Disney!), from A to Z (actually, in chronological order); I won’t be doing that, but I WILL be reading all the Legends books that I didn’t read and rereading some treasures (Outbound Flight, Heir to the Empire, you know the drill). “Into the Void” is the one I’m currently working on. These are the only books that I will NOT DNF, as I’ve prided myself on reading every single Star Wars book, beginning to end.

I also want to read “The Astronaut’s Wives’ Club” and Malala’s book. Those are the two books that don’t really fit into any of the other goals quite well.

Modest goals. I’m a little sad I couldn’t add a bunch of new exciting ones to the mix, but the fact is, I want to keep it manageable. Read through my already owned books? Easy and cheap. Finally weed through those YA I bought? That’s been bugging me forever!

But the biggest goal: to read what I enjoy. No more pushing myself through crap I am not enjoying. Books are to be loved; if I am not loving it, it goes. (To those who are astonished that I don’t like something: I’m sorry if you loved it, but each person is different and I’m entitled not to like something just as much as you are entitled to like it!) My reading time is precious and sacred, and I have no time to spare on shit books.

And really, what better goal is there than that?

I hope 2014 treated you well, but I hope 2015 treats you better!