Fantastic Ending!

The Lucky Ones: A Bright Young Things Novel - Anna Godbersen

Bullet Review:

FANTASTIC ending. Conclusion had me all misty-eyed. Cheesy as hell but it's exactly what the doctor ordered.

Full review:

Much has changed since Cordelia and Letty high-tailed it out of Union for the lights and glitter of New York City. Cordelia is running her own speakeasy, managing the bootlegging business with her brother, Charlie. Astrid has married Charlie and left behind her carefree life of a single girl. Meanwhile, Letty is ready for stardom and has come under the wing of Valentine O'Dell and his wife, two of the biggest names in the movie-biz.

But all that is going to change, because life in the bootlegging business is never easy. Cordelia continues to be torn between stiff pilot, Max Darby, and bootlegger rival, Thom Hale. Astrid is beginning to see that Charlie isn't all that he's cracked up to be. And poor dear sweet Letty begins to see what happens behind the scenes.

This is the final book in the Bright Young Things trilogy, and it was a whirlwind of trashy goodness. This will never be a Man Booker Prize or anything, but it is FUN. And sometimes, at the end of the day, you just want to be entertained by a trio of girls gallivanting through 20's New York, dodging bullets and chasing beaus.

My previous reviews pretty much are on point for this one as well. Big things change in this book - relationships change, characters grow, the world evolves. It's all done very well, very realistically (as realistically as you want in a book like this, I should say). I love how the author avoids making any one person really bad. There are "shades of grey". I love how the topic of race is discussed; while I hate romantic triangles, I actually loved how all these girls had more than one interest, kissed (and enjoyed it!) more than one boy.

But really made this book great was that epilogue! Without getting TOO awful spoilery, it perfectly ties in to the first book, in a way that was sweet and yet bitter at the same time. I'd be lying if I said I had no tears in my eyes when I finished it. You find out who dies, who is married, and who is famous - and you may be a bit surprised to see who it is!

Godbersen did a fantastic job with this series; I definitely recommend for 20's enthusiasts.

Dialogue/Sexual Situations/Violence:
Language is mild.
No explicit sex scenes, though there is at least one allusion. Also, characters dally with adultery.
There is a bit of violence - people get shot, and one person does die.