This was just a whole lotta fun

Ms. Marvel Volume 1: No Normal - G. Willow Wilson, Adrian Alphona

Bullet Review:

Kamala Khan aka Ms. Marvel is a much needed hero in the world of comics. Superheroes tend to be far too white, far too male, far too perfect for their own good. It's nice to have a girl's/Muslim's/Pakastani's version of Peter Parker.

It was hugely insightful into the life of a Pakastani Muslim girl - how different AND similar it was to my own childhood. I do wonder if perhaps Muslim and/or Pakastani women may find it very different from their own lives - but hey, what with all the Islamaphobia these days, Kamala is desperately needed to knock into people's heads that, dur, "not all Muslims" are violent.

Storywise, it's your typical "origins story", which is why I knocked off a star. I'm sure once things get situated, the story will really take off. At the very least, this is a comic I can heartily recommend to teenaged girls and one I will continue to follow.

ETA: I have read issues 6 and 7, and I would say they are even stronger than the first 5 issues. This series is REALLY kicking off nicely!