Endgame (Voluntary Eradicators, #1) - Nenia Campbell Volera is a Player; she helps provide entertainment for the virtual reality games that are hugely popular. But she can't remember her past, and strange occurrences, nightmares, and blackouts make her think that a particular guy has an unhealthy interest in her.

Trying to define my feelings towards this book is tough. The first half is so dense, so confusing, so slow. It really is pure world-building. I'll admit, more than once I grew frustrated at this book. "I want to like you!" I would yell at it. "Why are you being so confusing to me?! Why can't you just give some answers?!"

But this book reminds me of "Dune" in that regard: you're reading it and wondering, "WTF is going on?!" When suddenly, the clouds part and it JUST MAKES SENSE. It takes a long time, but when you get to that point, the light bulb turns on and the book pages fly by.

And that is my experience with this book. I got past that 50% mark and suddenly, I got it. I got the characters. I got the story. Even the cultures and society which had been a stumbling block were making sense. That is what picked this up from a 3 star to a 4 star.

This book won't be for everyone, but if you like cyber punk and don't want drippy heroines, this is your book.