Superman: Earth One - J. Michael Straczynski, Shane Davis Bullet Review:

I'm not the biggest Superman fan in the world, but I've seen the original movie, "Man of Steel", and "Smallville" and am familiar with the basic storyline. The two biggest reason I read this were A) I had recently seen "Man of Steel" and heard this comic was used as inspiration for the movie (I can totally see the similiarities), and B) I've been on a comic book kick lately and really wanted to find a good entry point into possibly reading Superman. (The biggest problem to a newbie to these 50+ year comic series is "OMG, there are TEN VOLUMES of classic comics IN ADDITION to comics coming out?! Where the frak do I even begin?!?!")

At the end of the day, I think this comic is just OK, pure and simple. It's the same basic Superman origin story that we've seen about a million times before (even those of us who AREN'T Supes fans). It's not done badly, just "meh, same-o, same-o". It's a perfectly serviceable entry point for a newbie - I mean, I certainly wasn't confused about who was who and what was what, and I'm pretty newbie when it comes to Superman.

Honestly, I think the hardest part is that the comic is just so OK that it doesn't stand out. The characters are OK. The story is OK. The art is OK. After having Smallville do a pretty good job at feeling out Clark's teenaged years, it's hard to be excited about the "new direction" JMS takes the story.

Also, Clark is now a scientific genius, offered 6-figure salaries straight out of college/high school? In addition to being offered whatever position he wanted on a football team? Supes has always suffered from the Mary Sue/Marty Stu banner - did JMS have to make it WORSE?