Dead Sky Morning (Experiment in Terror) - Karina Halle

Dex and Perry are heading up to Canada, to a small island off of Victoria called D'arcy's Island. Years ago, it was the home of many Chinese Lepers, all of whom died. Now, it is haunted, and people avoid it. What will Dex and Perry see - and will it break them apart and destroy them or bring them together?

It's been a long time since I read (actual book form, not audiobooks) a series back to back in one long marathon run. Most of the time, I get tired of the characters or setting or just need something different. But this series has become one of those where I need to get my hands on the next book as soon as I finish one.

The primary reason for this is the characters. I am totally invested in Perry and Dex and their relationship. I love these characters to death - which is why I get so damned frustrated with Perry when she harps on her weight or how much crap she takes from Dex.

Perry is kinda my mirror image - she's gutsy, strong-willed, and somewhat insecure. I'll admit, I'm a bit disappointed to learn in this book that she's not really overweight, but just not stick thin like her sister and mom. Yeah, I can totally get why she'd harp on her weight, and she's 22 not my 29. But when I read the first book and learned she was "fat", my spirits perked up. FINALLY, a real woman - a size 14 or something. But no, apparently a lot of the fat thing is in Perry's head. Again, not that this is exactly bad, but a bit disappointing.

Also, I'm not sure who I want to smack first - Dex for being an a-hole to Perry or Perry for being so googly-eyed over Dex to put up with his sh!t. Seriously, that girl needs a medal for all the crap Dex puts her through! Dayum - I don't think I'd be half as tolerant as she is, even if I were gaga over Dex. She backs down way too often in fights, and it never seems like Dex ever apologizes enough for his actions.

Perry and Dex continue to make an excellent team - and perhaps romantic partners. My only "problem" comes in the form of Dex and his girlfriend. I honestly find it in bad form that Perry seems to chase after Dex when he is unavailable AND that Dex seems to encourage it. Now, this is just my opinion, but if I had a serious crush on a guy that I knew had a girlfriend, I would not be flirting with him and generally trying to attract him like Perry does with Dex. It doesn't make me feel right inside.

Of course, on the other hand, this sort of thing happens all the time. Furthermore, Perry isn't like those stupid other heroines who bat their eyes in a corner and sigh invitingly; she does act on her thoughts and feelings quite a bit (even if not as much as actually coming out to Dex and saying, "I like you a lot, dump your girlfriend and jump my bones!"). It's just the whole infidelity thing bugs me; even though Jennifer is, in Perry's eyes, horrible, I can't help but sympathize with her. No one likes to be dumped.

Anyway, I know this sounds super critical, but I'm saying these things because I CARE so much about these characters. I CARE so much, I get angry when they don't act how I think they should, when they make stupid mistakes or act like d!cks. If I didn't CARE, I wouldn't be wanting Perry to chew on Dex's @$$ and make him grovel to her for the countless times he was being a d-bag to her.

As for the paranormal aspect - it's DEFINITELY improving over the earlier books. I'm not saying the two earlier books were bad, but the horror aspects were just growing. "The Benson Hotel" ramped it up; in this one, it blossoms. There were definitely moments when I was afraid to turn off the light before going to bed.

As for the writing, it's still a bit rough around the edges, and the Britishisms that Perry says are a bit incongruous ("taking the p!ss" isn't one that I, an American, hear much). The best thing it's got going is how READABLE this book is. It FLIES. I, the slowest reader in the world, finished it in about a week - and most of the reading occurred on the last two days (the final 150 pages or so), because I was THAT hooked.

I'm definitely addicted at this point and am hopping feet first into "Lying Season". My only problem? I'm afraid I'll finish that book before I can get my hands on paperbacks for books 5 and 6!