The Transformation of Things: A Novel - Jillian Cantor I'm not going into a plot summary, because the book provides a pretty good one. Instead, I'm going to say why I stopped reading at page 70 and why it wasn't for me.

After months of being a completist, of reading books until the very last page in the hopes that they improved (and many times finding myself disappointed at the final page), I've instituted a new rule:

+ Read a book to 25% approx (ending preferably at the start of a new chapter).

+ Evaluate whether the book is worth continuing. Maybe I'm not stimulated, or the characters aren't appealing, or the plot is meh.

+ Write a review about why I didn't finish and a rating of what I read.

+ Make a recommendation on who would like this, if anyone.

In the portion I read (the first 9 chapters and the final chapter), there wasn't anything exactly bad about the book. (Minus the final chapter - words on that will be in the spoilers section at the very end.) In fact, for quite some time, I was actually kinda enjoying the story. Jennifer's point of view is quite nice, and the story even seemed to be pretty interesting.

But this book has showed me one thing: I am not a fan of contemporary stories. I don't know why - maybe it's because I have my own life and don't really want to read about the humdrum lives of others or maybe it is how repetitive they feel or how they try to force "life lessons" down your throat - but I just don't care for them. And honestly, I knew that this book probably would be that when I started reading (although I kinda was expecting a bit more mystery/fantasy - I need to stop getting my hopes up like that), but I still wanted to give this book a shot. The blurb DID sound interesting. But even when Jennifer starts having dreams, I just couldn't get very invested. I was surprised at how dumb she was, not making the connection between the calming herb and her dreams, or how the dreams were more than just a dream of a loved-one's life.

(Also, it wasn't until the last chapter that I realized this family was Jewish. Couldn't that have been a bit more prominent?)

The other thing I wasn't fond of was how working mothers were treated. Kat, Jennifer's friend, is a working mom; Jennifer tells us she only took 6 weeks maternity leave and then promptly went back to work because she wasn't the "mommy type" and then proceeds to say "It seemed like if I ever actually had a baby, I'd feel this innate requirement to watch her every second, to make sure nothing bad happened to her."

My problem with this is that, once again, women are judged if they aren't full-time mommies that dote on their precious angels every second of every day. I think stay-at-home moms are great; my mom was one such and a dear friend of mine is another. But just because this choice works for some women doesn't mean ALL women should have to give up their careers to be stay-at-home mommies. If I ever had kids, I doubt sincerely that I would do the stay-at-home mommy route. I would be that working mom. And I do not want to be judged because I chose to work outside the home and not have a baby constantly on my hip.

The last chapter on the other hand cemented why it was a good thing for me to stop before I got much farther. In true Lifetime TV fashion, Jennifer goes into a coma for a time but is "miraculously" awakened. The story ends with a wedding (!), the main couple getting blissfully back together (!), Jennifer happily pregnant (!), and Kat quitting her horrible full-time job to be a part-time worker, stay-at-home mommy - you konw, the ONLY way a woman can be a GOOD mom (WTF?!)

But just because I stopped reading doesn't mean this is bad. The writing is solid, the characters are pretty good. If you are a fan of contemporary stories with very, very light, light fantasy (almost negligible), then this is definitely your book. If you are a working mom, take caution when reading this as it might make you a bit mad.