Batwoman, Vol. 1: Hydrology - J.H. Williams III, W. Haden Blackman I'm on a graphic novel winning streak!! Yippee!

My knowledge of anything DC is admittedly almost nonexistent. I know there's a superhero named Superman and one named Batman and that's almost it. But when I was poking around in my local comic store, the artwork and story stood out - along with featuring an adult superheroine not called "girl" (not saying Batgirl and Supergirl are automatically bad because of their names). I honestly didn't know what to expect; I didn't really bother to get my hopes up, knowing my horrible luck with comics.

This was a most pleasant surprise! A strong female character, independent, a mentor to a young female protege. Kate Kane aka "Batwoman" knows when to be tough as nails but also isn't an a-hole to everyone she meets (unlike Anita Blake...).

And the artwork! Gorgeous! I love the focus on red, black, white and turquoise. About the only thing I found weird was Kate's vampire white skin. Kinda creepy.

I'll definitely keep my eyes open for more in this series!