Mercy Thompson: Moon Called, Volume 1 - David Lawrence, Amelia Woo, Patricia Briggs Mercedes “Mercy” Thompson runs a mechanic shop in the Tri-Cities area. Life is pretty ho-hum until Mac, a 16-year old werewolf, appears asking for a job. Mercy agrees, but there is something about Mac that is startlingly different. An attack on the local Alpha, Adam, the abduction of his daughter, Jesse, and the murder of Mac is just the beginning.

Patricia Briggs' Moon Called was an enjoyable Urban Fantasy novel. Mercy Thompson was a likeable character, the story was interesting, the werewolf mythos was different and intriguing. I also really liked Mercy Thompson: Homecoming, a graphic novel prequel to the story. So when I found that "Moon Called" had been adapted into graphic novel format, I was excited and immediately bought both Volume 1 and Volume 2.

Since this is a graphic novel, let's start with the artwork. Volume 1 includes the first four issues of the comic. The cover art is done by Brett Booth, who has been doing the Laurell K. Hamilton Anita Blake books, and Amelia Woo, who did some of the art in the later portions of "Homecoming". Brett Booth's style just isn't my thing. His characters all look the same--and they all look like characters from Hamilton's Anita Blake series. Same beefcake physique for men; same brilliant white for vampires; same pouty, doe-eyed look for the women. Not my thing. Amelia Woo's cover art looked more like how I was accustomed to seeing Mercy from "Homecoming": a strong, confident Mercy, with dark hair and a body that looks like it would work on cars.

However, the actual art for the comic was a different story. I'm not going to say it was bad; it was pretty darn good. The colors were great, and definitely created a mood. The werewolves were nicely done, as was Zee. The action scenes were very nicely portrayed as well. But...it was hard to tell which werewolf was which. And then we have Mercy. In most of the panels, Mercy looks like a very white anime girl who looks like she would get knocked over just lifting up a wrench. Lean lines, light brown hair, barely tinted skin, and, of course, big boobs with teeny tiny waist. I always got the impression that Mercy looked more like Michelle Rodriquez than Emma Watson, Jena Malone, or Kristen Stewart; this comic, however, didn't show that side.

Of course, this is MY perception of the artwork; other people may not have the same interpretation of Mercy and will love it. That is great, and to those that love it, I am glad you do.

The characters themselves are great. Mercy is still our humorous, independent shapeshifter. Mac, Adam, Jesse, Zee, Bran, Sean...they all appear here and are great. Stefan doesn't appear, which kinda makes me sad; he was a riot.

Speaking of which, the graphic novel definitely didn't lose the humor. One of my favorite lines was when Mercy and Jesse were talking about eating cookie dough: "In this house we eat our cookie dough like civilized women--with a spoon". I don't know why; it just tickled me and got me to laugh out loud.

One of the biggest concerns when reading a graphic novel adaptation is the story: did it get chopped up beyond recognition? In this case, I would say no. David Lawrence does a great job moving from the written word to pictures--he even includes an interesting essay at the end describing the difficulties of his job (definitely worth a read). The story flows well, keeps all the important plot lines, and doesn't wallow too much in unnecessary narration. I really liked how it very much functioned without having to know the novel--I haven't read "Moon Called" in a long time, and yet I didn't feel confused very much at all. (Any confusion I did have was about interpreting text or panels--things that aren't the fault of adapting.)

And lastly, this graphic novel includes a chapter detailing what happened to Mac. I really liked it; it cleaned up some questions I had and was particularly poignant.

I really enjoyed this graphic novel adaptation of "Moon Called". The story and characters were just as great as in the novel. Sure, the artwork doesn't always fit what I expected, but that is why I am only knocking down 1 star. A good read for long-time fans or for those new to the series.