Star Wars: Blood Ties - A Tale of Jango and Boba Fett - Tom    Taylor "It's about legacies. And the question-- how do you make a dead man proud?"

Boba Fett is given a bounty--but this bounty is different. This bounty ends up having ties--to his father, Jango Fett.

Me and graphic novels have a love/hate relationship. I really want to love graphic novels, but I end up reading a lot of graphic novels I hate. Either because I am hopeful I will find a good one or I am too dumb to call it quits, but I still occasionally buy graphic novels that pique my interest. Which is why I started reading this one.

At first, I wasn't impressed. Sure, the art was actually very decent, but having Jango throw his barely 10 year old son at a dangerous animal to show him "fear"? Not really what I would call "loving" parenting, even for a bounty hunter. And the whole bantha poodoo about if Boba can face the fear from a beast that he can face any fear? Uh uh. Try living with cancer, a family member's death, a divorce, a tragic accident. I can guarantee that no fear from a beast can cure the fear from those situations.

But even then I didn't let it drag me down. And I'm glad. Because the story immediately improved. A LOT.

The artwork is gorgeous. The characters actually look like who they are supposed to be (in some cases, Jango and Boba look so much like their actors, it is creepy). The action, for the most part, is well done. At the beginning, I had to review several panels to determine what happened, but at the end, I had no problems following the flow of the story and of the combat.

The characters were great. Boba Fett is in top form. He is a ruthless bounty hunter, yes, but he still has a moral code that we haven't quite seen since he became a clone in Attack of the Clones. Connor Freeman was great. I loved his humor, I loved his competence, and I loved how he had a normal name. (I know the last one is dumb, but sometimes I actually like seeing normal names in a SW graphic novel.) The League of Bounty Hunters created a lot of funny situations (oddly enough); the baddies were generally bad--though Tayan got a little OTT with his "I don't have anymore people to kill, I am so BAD" routine.

The story was genius. I love the flashback to Jango Fett's time. Then there is an arc towards the end that repeats the beginning that reveals something relatively shocking. It turns out the thoughts we've been "hearing" aren't those of Boba Fett--they are of Connor Freeman! And the idea of trying to cope with the death of someone you love, how do you honor him? Poignant and stirring.

So, yeah, I was wrong again about graphic novels! And I am so happy I was! I really enjoyed this graphic novel and highly recommend, especially to Boba Fett fans. You won't regret it.