Me Talk Pretty One Day - David Sedaris I am still wrestling with the rating I gave this book. On one hand, I was rather unimpressed with this audiobook. The stories were okay, but most of them just gave me a chuckle or two or, worse, just mild amusement. On the other hand, perhaps it was just my mood, maybe I am not used to reading humor books.

But I am getting ahead of myself.

In David Sedaris' "Me Talk Pretty One Day", Dave Sedaris relates episodes from his past, primarily concerning speech and his stay in France. I won't really say much more as it could destroy the humor from the situations that Sedaris creates in the books (for those that plan on reading). I've also heard that this is not exactly a biography as some of the stories were exaggerated for the humorous effect, but as I didn't expect 100% historical accuracy, I wasn't too concerned.

First thing first, the audiobook does not have all the anecdotes that are in the novel form. I checked out both the audiobook and the novel (I was hoping to have time to read the novel for my Book Club, but that wasn't meant to be, so I also got the audiobook), and a quick comparsion showed that several stories particularly from the first section are missing in the audiobook.

As for the sections I listened to, I found myself time and again underwhelmed. I would listen and maybe get a mild sensation of amusement. Sometimes, on a rare occasion, I would let loose a small chuckle. Only towards the end did I find myself belly-laughing.

A lot of the humor tended to be deprecatory or rather gruesome. A good example of this would be the first anecdote "Go Carolina", in which a teacher purposely lies to David to get him to reveal his lisp and then laughs in his face. I just didn't get the humor of the episode, to be honest. Even though I know that it was likely hyperbole, I just couldn't get past a teacher acting so callously. Another good example of the disturbing humor is "Twelve Moments in the Life of the Artist". Most of the "moments" seemed to be nothing more than drug jokes. While some were admittedly mildly amusing, I never found any of these gut-wrenchingly funny.

That doesn't mean the entire book was dry and boring and humorless. There were some times that I did chuckle or laugh heartily. For instance, "Nutcracker.com" really tickled me with Dave's tales about traveling with a typewriter and his disgust for computers. "Jesus Shaves" was hilarious in how some students tried to explain Easter in French to a Moroccan student. Other stories I liked were "Pledge Allegiance to the Bag" and some of the "Precious Moments" anecdotes.

Perhaps it was my mood (because I do tend to like dry humor similar to Sedaris'), as the latter anecdotes sparked more of a reaction in me. Perhaps it was the format (audiobooks can sometimes lose me). Maybe it was the delivery (Sedaris himself read them, but maybe his delivery deadened the "jokes" for me). Whatever the case, the book just wasn't all that funny to me, and for that reason, I can't give high ratings. If I do end up reading the novel, I'll update this review with my thoughts, if they've changed.