The Dresden Files:  Storm Front, Volume 1:  The Gathering Storm - Jim Butcher, Mark Powers, Ardian Syaf Harry Dresden: The only openly practicing wizard in Chicago
If you've read the book of the same name, [[ASIN:0451457811 Storm Front]], you pretty much know what this is about. To copy my review of the book:
"Harry Dresden is the only practicing wizard in the Yellow Pages and often works with the police on their “paranormal” crimes. One day, Lieutenant Murphy calls him up and presents him with a crime scene: two dead bodies, killed in a most brutal and obviously unnatural method, which some are trying to blame on Harry. Meanwhile, Harry is also hired to find the missing husband of Monica Sells."
As with the novel, I really enjoyed the character of Harry (a good thing, as he is our protagonist!). He's your average wizard--obviously skilled, but not so omnipotent that the action scenes are boring. Harry has weaknesses (he's terrible with women, for one), he's grumpy, he overworks, he passes out when he's tired...all around, he's a pleasant guy to learn about.
Dresden's world is pretty interesting too. I loved learning how the magic works (in some ways, I feel this area was nicely "cleaned up" from the novel version, which had a tendency to be a bit unclear and almost too detailed, I felt), seeing the faeries, seeing Morgan, seeing the demons, seeing Bianca...and so on.
The story is very interesting. I like how Harry is working on two cases at the same time. Also, the story was well translated into graphic novel form, something that can have varying results, I've seen. I wasn't confused about what Harry was doing or why (though I have to wonder how much of that is because I've read the novel and knew what he was doing and why).
Specifically about the graphic novel, the art was very good. Harry Dresden wasn't quite what I expected, but I grew to like him regardless. Morgan was also very good. As I mentioned above, the vampires, demons, Bob, Toot-Too...all cool to see. My big complaint here is towards the women. Every single woman, from Karrin Murphy to Susan Rodriquez to Bianca to Monica to Linda had sharp chins not that dissimilar from Harry's. I was particularly perturbed about Karrin Murphy because I got the impression she had almost a cutsey doll face (Drew Barrymore maybe??), not a sharp, pointy-chinned face. Susan Rodriguez did not look Mexican or Hispanic in the slightest, merely like a tanned Karrin. By the time I reached Bianca, a red-haired Karrin, I ceased to be surprised at all the pointy-chinned ladies (btw, I always imagine Bianca more like Angelina Jolie). I won't even talk about the other ladies, I think you get the picture.
One last graphic novel comment: "Harry text" (Harry's interior dialogue, or the first person narrative in the novel) is well translated here. Perfect balance of exposition and letting the art speak for itself.
I was impressed with the graphic novel, overall. Sure some of the art is wonky (namely the women), but the story is the best. This novel was truly meant for this medium. The action sequences are well-rendered, the characters are like their book counterparts, and the story is intriguing--so much that even though I've already read the novel, I'll be checking out Volume 2. If you like Dresden, you definitely need to check these out.