The Voyage of the Dawn Treader (Chronicles of Narnia, #5) - C.S. Lewis, Pauline Baynes "The very first tear he made was so deep that I thought it had gone right into my heart."

Edmund and Lucy Pevensie are staying with their cousin, Eustace Scrubb, a nasty little boy with no imagination. One day, while admiring a painting of a Narnia-esque ship in one of their aunt's rooms, the trio are whisked inside the painting and set upon the Dawn Treader, King Caspian's ship. His quest? To find out what happened to seven lords that Miraz had sent out to explore the Eastern Sea.

I Liked:
This book was a joy to listen to again. I had forgotten so much, and, now that I'm older, certain scenes meant a whole lot more to me now.
Firstly, we have Eustace Scrubb, who is a perfectly unpleasant boy. I love how he rubs people the wrong way, how much of a stick-in-the-mud he is, and his entire character arc. His struggle being the dragon and having to rely on someone else to return to human form are some of the best pieces of Christian allegory in the entire series. As Aslan helped him out of the dragon skin, I was nearly in tears. The scenes were well-written and definitely NOT clubbing Christian ideology over your head.
Other characters were good too. Edmund is always amusing, and I did love the part where he bickers with Caspian over the rule of Narnia. Caspian is much more enjoyable and active; Lewis did a good job "growing him up". Even Reepicheep, who will never be my favorite character, was far more interesting here than in his debut novel, Prince Caspian.
I love the adventure story, the traveling to all the foreign, unexplored islands, and how different each one was. The island of Dreams was haunting, almost horror-like (without being too scary for the little ones this was meant for); the island of gold was enlightening; the island of the Dufflepods was interesting. Each place showed something new about the characters and their personality and growth.
I adored the humor, or should I say, light-hearted tone of the book. The book didn't stay very dark and plenty of the characters made jokes throughout.

I Didn't Like:
First thing I didn't like (unfortunately) was the narrator's voice for Reepicheep. Yes, I understand the character is a mouse, but listening to a squeaky, high-pitched voice is NOT what I had in mind.
While most of the allegory is tamed down, I still wasn't fond of the deus ex Aslan. Every time the characters encounter something, Aslan immediately steps in and takes away all of the conflict. For instance, at the Island of the Gold Pond (Not the real name, my name), Edmund and Caspian begin to argue over the rule of Narnia. Almost instantly, Aslan appears, wipes their memories, and the kids are like, "Huh, what were we doing? Mmm, must not be important, let's leave." What a way to remove any possibility for character growth!

Dialogue/Sexual Situation/Violence:
None.
Caspian gets married at the end of the book.
There are a few battles, one between Edmund and Caspian, one amongst slavers, and one with a sea creature.

Overall:
This was a very enjoyable novel. I loved traveling on the ship with the children as they explored the unknown. Even the narrator's voice for Reepicheep and the evaporating conflict can't get rid of the good feelings I have finishing this book.