Glimmerglass - Jenna Black After her mother arrives drunk at a recital, Dana Hathaway leaves to meet her father in Avalon, but things go amiss right from the start as multiple factions learn about her existence and try to get their hands on her.

I Liked:
I've read a lot of faerie books lately and teen urban fantasy, so I was afraid that Jenna Black's entry would end up being the same: human girl meets boy, strange things happen, girl and boy make out, and they barely make out at the end with a nice little loophole for a nice long series of pedestrian books.
From the moment I opened the book and read the prologue, I knew this would be different and unique, and it was. Dana Hathaway's "normal" life isn't so normal (and yet, in some ways, it is): her mother is a drunk and Dana is often forced to be the adult in the family. She gets tired of having to move, of not having friends, and of being mature and decides to meet her father.
Dana herself is a great character. She is attractive, but not mind blowingly (no frilly descriptions of her features or of the dudes in her life gushing about her features). She can sing extraordinarily well, but it is not a huge component (yet). She acts mature for her age, and yet still makes stupid decisions (running around in tunnels with no direction, crying at appropriate times, etc.). She is funny, relatively upbeat, and engaging.
My other favorite characters were Kimber and Finn. Kimber was so interesting. She was the smart sister of Ethan, but unloved by her father because she couldn't use magic like Ethan. She harbored anger, and yet still overcame her feelings to be a good friend to Dana. Finn was awesome. I kept thinking of Agent Smith from The Matrix: serious, competent, devoted. He definitely needed more page time.
The story itself was brilliant. Most teenaged urban fantasy seem to fall along the lines of what I mentioned above: human girl meets abnormal boy, they fall in love, something weird happens, they get through it by the skin of their teeth, the end. Sometimes, you have an abnormal girl, but she seems almost hampered, incompetent. While Dana certainly doesn't know about her abilities and can use them (yet), she does know she is half-Faerie and instead of being driving by a boy toy, she wants a relationship with her dad. I liked the change, I liked how Black kept me on the edge of my seat (the pages flew by!), and I liked how there wasn't a huge push for a romance between Dana and either of the boys.

I Didn't Like:
There were several points that left me stymied. For instance, Dana leaves to see her dad, yet somehow has a cameo gift from him. Later, it seems that she had contacted him long before she chose to leave for Avalon. Why didn't her father send someone after her? Why isn't it made clearer that when she left for Avalon, she had actually been in contact with him for some time? Also, how does her mother hold a job enough to alleviate the costs of moving around a lot, living in multiple apartments, having a laptop computer for her daughter, and flying back and forth over the Atlantic? How does her mother have a job period, given she is a drunk? Does no one do background checks or references anymore?
The entire character of Keane was completely pointless and unneeded, in my opinion. I liked when Finn showed up as her bodyguard, but when an opening came for her to undergo self defense training and Finn wasn't going to train her, I inwardly groaned. Then came in Keane, an arrogant, self-centered, rude, stereotypical "Bad Boy" for her to "fall into his arms...and lust". Gah! You could easily have cut him out and replaced him with his father, Finn (okay, so while I wouldn't mind his age in comparison to Dana's, just make him a bit younger for the target audience), and had a better story...and one that didn't so awkwardly add our third angle to our Love Triangle.
The third act was kinda cluttered with Keane filler and a slightly hackneyed climax (though Black made it work well).

Dialogue/Sexual Situations/Violence:
P***, b****, h***, and d*** get slung around a bit.
Dana is put into compromising positions with both Ethan and Keane. Ethan and Dana engage in a steamy makeout session. Ethan is said to be a player. Dana reads "dirty" books.
Dana's life is constantly threatened. At one point, Spriggans (I keep thinking giant scorpions) attack, maiming a human and a Fae.

Overall:
Jenna Black's Glimmerglass is what you long for when reading: an adventure, a good protagonist, and an interesting story. Sure, we get the prerequisite Love Triangle (or budding Love Triangle), a stereotypical showdown, and some unclear points. But I really enjoyed myself when reading this, and that is more than I get from some novels.