Star Wars: Rogue Planet - Greg Bear "They love their secrets"
Obi-Wan and Anakin are in the rocky part of their relationship, trying to figure out the Master and Apprentice thing when Mace Windu sends both on a mission to find the missing Jedi Knight, Vergere. Vergere had left for the "rogue planet" Zonoma Sekot over a year ago and hasn't made contact since then. Meanwhile, Tarkin and Raith Sienar have plans to advance their station and secure a niche for the future.
NOTE: Based on audibook and novel.

I Liked:
Greg Bear really does a fine job penetrating the minds of Anakin Skywalker and Obi-Wan Kenobi. This is perhaps the absolute best part of the novel: the exploration of who both is and how they behave to each other. At the beginning, Anakin has a thirst for thrills and a yearning to eradicate the pain and dreams he experiences. Obi-Wan frets about how he treats his Padawan. Is he too harsh? Too lenient? Anakin is so talented...but why then does he act so immature? We also have hints about Qui-Gon speaking to them, something revisited in later movies/materials, which is always neat.
The second great thing about this book is how it really ties in with NJO. I enjoyed reading about Vergere, the beginnings of the Farsiders (the Yuuzhan Vong) and the mind planet (which was a weird concept, but it makes sense with the Yuuzhan Vong). Greg Bear did a superb job with intertwining it, so kudos to him.
Lastly, Bear did me a great favor and put our favorite Imperial, Tarkin, in the spotlight. I love how weasley he is and how, even at this time, he is big into driving people to fear him. And then, how Raith Sienar contrasted with him. Very nicely done.

I Didn't Like:
Anakin doesn't act anywhere near twelve. He acts probably about 18. I didn't like how at this age he started having all these uber creepy, demonic dreams. Honestly, it really lessens the blow when we hear it in Attack of the Clones. I mean, if Anakin has been having bad dreams since 12, when Anakin reveals it in Clones, Obi-Wan's response would be like, "So?" All in all, I am not a big fan of every novelist going, "Ooh, Anakin becomes Darth Vader, let's throw in some darkness randomly so people can see it as foreshadowing!" Lame.
Some people really liked the beginning action sequence. For me, it felt out of place. Anakin randomly decides to garbage pit race, a race barely described and highly confusing, just for the thrill. And then Obi-Wan follows him because...? Can we say, "Out of character"? And excuse me, but where did Anakin get the money for the wings? Jedi give allowances now?
Every single alien is brand new from Charza to the Blood Carver. This isn't a bad thing, but couldn't we have at least one tie-in that isn't a stereotyped alien (e.g. Twi'Lek slave girl, Rodian bounty hunter, Hutt crimelord, Wookie soldier, etc.)?
I also felt that Bear spent way too much time on the minor subplot of creating the seedship and not enough on the real reason that Anakin and Obi-Wan were on Zonoma Sekot in the first place (to find Vergere, remember?). They don't do any real investigating, even after their hosts realize they are Jedi. Instead, they are all "wizard" over making a super-fast ship that is going to be destroyed by the end of the book anyway. And when they do learn what happened to Vergere, it is basically handed to them on a silver platter, no investigating necessary. Geesh, what a let down!
Speaking of endings, this had to be the oddest one, with the coda portion. It felt out of place and non-Star Wars.
In fact, much of the novel felt decidedly non-Star Wars. I mean, there were good parts (the shipbuilding WAS interesting, even if it served no purpose to the main plot, the planet WAS interesting, etc.).
I loathed the character of Thracia. I mean, she can leave the Jedi Order, marry, have kids, return, and then jibe Mace Windu, calling him an idiot and becoming the 13th member of the Jedi Council? Can we say...Mary Sue? (Thank God she's not in the book too much.)
And what was the deal with the Blood Carver trying to kill Anakin? Did I miss it or forget?

Dialogue/Sexual Situations/Violence:
None.
None.
A Blood Carver tries to kill Anakin. There is a big end battle sequence.

Overall:
Greg Bear is noteworthy for his hard scifi. This fact makes it extremely odd that he would have written Star Wars, one of the softest of soft scifi franchises. Bear writes some memorable scenes with Anakin and Obi-Wan, explores their relationship, and truly has some intriguing ideas, but I think he just is writing outside his area of expertise. The novel just doesn't feel like Star Wars. Good author, but not the best book I've ever read.