Planet of Twilight - Barbara Hambly "Cruel in places" - Better lines never described such a book
Seti Ashgad of Nom Chorios has set up a meeting with Chief of State Leia Organa to try to convince her to throw Republic support to open trade on his planet. Trade that the native Therans have opposed with weapons. But things go amiss with Leia is kidnapped. Meanwhile, a message from Callista warning of dire events on Nom Chorios sends Luke Skywalker in pursuit his lost love.
NOTE: I read this book years ago and listened to the audio version most recently.

I Liked:
After reading the brutal description of Callista in Darksaber, reading Barbara Hambly write Callista was a breath of fresh air. Despite her odd return (and how it feels decidedly un-Star Wars), Callista isn't a half bad character and had promised to bring such a new perspective on the Jedi, from the viewpoint of the Old Republic. Hambly's Callista is still upset about losing her Force powers and still insists on being away from Luke to get them back, but she is nowhere near as whiny and immature as Anderon's Callista. Furthermore, Hambly closes off the Luke and Callista relationship well, leaving no dangling threads and giving a slice of hope that maybe Callista can return (I wouldn't be opposed to seeing her in later books, honestly).
I also commend Hambly for having Callista finally train Leia. In fact, I enjoyed this aspect so much, I wish that Callista would have returned, not to be Luke's lover, but to be Leia's master, she is that good.
Although small, I want to make sure it doesn't go unnoticed that Hambly bucked the stereotype and made the first Hutt Jedi. Kudos to her! Yes, Beldorian is still "bad", but I appreciate how she made him a Jedi instead of leaning on the Wookiees, the Mon Calamari or the Bothans.

I Didn't Like:
I don't know if it's me, the circumstances surrounding when I listened to this audio version or what, but this book seems almost worse than Children of the Jedi.
My first complaint is that Luke is still pining after her enough to leave and search her out. Hasn't it been a year since she left? Why is he still so absorbed with her? A year is a long time and a lot of things have probably happened to Luke in that time. So why is he still easily able to drop everything and try to seek her out? I understand why the author did it (to tie off the Luke/Callista relationship loose end), but it doesn't seem appropriate for Luke, Jedi Master, to be pining so long afterwards. In fact, it almost makes him more of a hormonal teenager than a grown adult who has been through war.
Secondly, Leia spends much of this book doing nothing more than being drugged. This makes for incredibly boring reading, as she lies around, listening to convenient exposition and getting dehydrated. Not to mention, Leia's room is a normal room with a window and a balcony. Sure, the door is locked, but the Leia from the movies would have been attempting to leave. Of course, the Leia from the movies wasn't harping on wearing "thick, red" ceremonial robes and "gold" boots. I wouldn't have been surprised if she were wearing a nice bull horn hairdo like her mother in The Phantom Menace. I am not sure why Leia decides to even leave, it almost feels like the author finally needed Leia to be elsewhere to get the plot moving so decided, "Yup, let's have her escape now." Then, having Leia's lightsaber remain with her is completely insane. Seti Ashgad was very aware of the weapon, why would he basically just ASK her to leave by letting her keep it? Insane!
The plot dive bombs into ridiculous and non-Star Wars once it is revealed that Dzym is a genetically manipulated droch created by a chef for a meal. What...I can't tell you how my brain shut down and refused to accept this once I heard it. How does this happen? Is this Star Wars or Star Trek or some other crazy scifi franchise (especially with a name of a city being "Ruby Gulch"!)? I heaped quite a bit of insult on Children of the Jedi, but at least that book had Jedi and an attempt to feel from the world of Star Wars. Here, it's as if Hambly didn't even try.
Another peeve I had was the stereotypically "bad" engineering firms. Excuse me, but these places are just there to create money. Quit trying to make them all look bad, like Captain Planet and the Planeteers, just because they are trying to make a profit. Governments aren't good just because they make wild promises to people for peace and a bunch of other pie crust promises; businesses aren't bad because they are trying to increase profits (not to say they are good, mostly that they are indifferent). Furthermore, I am sure the "good" New Republic has weapons and didn't get all of them from the "peaceful" Mon Calamari.
Also, in this book, it becomes abundantly clear the mistake of making Leia Organa Chief of State. Once you make her such a powerful position, you have to come up with crazier and crazier ways to include her in the story and get her to DO things instead of sitting on the sidelines like most rulers. At first, I thought it would be cool, but now I see how it has hurt Leia's character (making her more of a cushy politician instead of the fighter from the movies). I mean, it's been over 10 years since she found out she was Luke's sister and can use the Force and she still hasn't become a Jedi.

Dialogue/Sexual Situations/Violence:
Sparse.
I don't recall anything.
Leia finally lightsaber duels. Using the Force has bad consequences on Nom Chorios. Luke gets shot out of the sky.

Overall:
Another sub-standard Star Wars book. I had thought it was slow, boring, and bad when I was younger, and I can just confirm that time hasn't changed my view of it, other than to include the adjective "weird" to the bunch. Admiral Daala says it best about the book: "Cruel in places". Avoid.