Jedi Twilight - Michael Reaves "Even without the Force, you are still a Jedi"
Don't confuse this book with the other "Twilight" book! In this new edition to the Star Wars Expanded Universe, Jax Pavan, former Jedi Knight, is scumming around in the Coruscant underbelly, trying to keep out of the limelight and Darth Vader's target sites. But when his former master, Even Piell, asks him for one last mission, how can he say no?

I Liked:
I opened this book with some trepidation. The last two Michael Reaves books I read (Death Star (Star Wars) and Batman: Fear Itself) didn't impress me. In fact, I rated both two stars. I was so sure that Reaves had lost his touch, that the magic of Shadow Hunter (Star Wars: Darth Maul) was gone.
Boy was I wrong!
Michael Reaves brings back his amazing characters from Darth Maul, the Medstar Duology and more. We get to learn more about I-Five and ponder sentience. Are droids slaves...or are they property? Can a droid attain sentience? We see what happened to Den Dhur, reporter of the Medstar Duology. The Sullustan friend of I-Five makes some of the snappiest remarks, he is impossible to hate. Then we have Jax Pavan, Lorn Pavan's Jedi son. He has pretty much lived a bounty hunter-ish life in the underworld of Coruscant. You see him struggle with living alone, without the Jedi and then without the Force. Nick Rostu of Shatterpoint (Star Wars: Clone Wars) fame is back. I feel for him, his struggle with his limited Force ability and his desire to save his home. Also starring is Kaird, a Nediji (think bird-man), who is a part of Black Sun just to get to his own homeworld. Of those listed (there are a few others, but I found them more periphery), my favorites are Nick and Kaird. I really grew attached to Nick, felt his struggles and understood his past. Kaird, I loved how he wasn't your typical, "I want to be a big shot for the power" kind of guy. Nope, all he wanted was to go home.
So a bunch of great characters don't mean a whole hill of beans. You can have a bunch and still have a lousy story (*ahem* Death Star). Not so here. The story is fantastic! There are just enough weaves, twists and turns (I figured out the end, but still, it was pretty darn interesting!) to keep you on your seat! And how Reaves puts all the characters together at the end...well, let's just say that THAT is how Death Star's ending should have been written.
And the ending! Wowee, talk about a ride! You will want to read the last 100 pages in one sitting. Trust me, I did! I didn't want to be torn away, not at that ending!

I Did Not Like:
I really have to pick here to get negatives.
Jedi deflect lasers but to shoot lasers out of the sky with blaster bolts? Uh huh, sure. Light is neither particle nor wave, so firing a light into a light does nothing, sorry.
The middle is kinda slow and almost padded. I can't even quite remember what happens in it! Fortunately, you don't seem to notice it when you are reading, only when you get to the end do you think, "Man, that section--whatever it was about--that was slow!"
I got a little tired of some of the repetition, namely about how Xizor was oh, so good at fighting (he was, and he proves it, I just get tired of all the characters saying it).
Also, the book is almost marketed as a PI/investigator type book. Uh, not so much.

Dialogue/Sexual Situations/Violence:
Invented Star Wars fare.
About as sexual as you get is perhaps Twi'Lek slaves. Very tame.
Violence is surprisingly light. There are some firefights, some people are injured (cuts, scrapes, one person almost dies), and an intense battle between our fighters and feral droids, but on the whole, not many get really messed up.

Overall:
Brilliant work, Michael Reaves! Thank you for proving me wrong and showing me that you really haven't forgotten the art of a brilliant novel. If the other two in the trilogy are anywhere near as good as this, sign me up! Oh, and start writing some more. Five stars, no questions.