Star Wars Episode IV: A New Hope - Alan Dean Foster, George Lucas "If not stopped soon enough, evil eventually reaches out to engulf all men."
Luke Skywalker, a young farm lad on the remote world of Tatooine, discovers two mysterious droids, R2-D2 and C-3PO. R2-D2 contains a message of a beautiful woman, Princess Leia, who is in danger and requires the aid of Jedi Knight Obi-Wan Kenobi. Now, Luke journeys with Obi-Wan, in his quest for adventure and to take up his father's mantle of being a Jedi.

I Liked:
Ghost written by Alan Dean Foster, this little book is a well-written account of the 1977 classic movie. Foster writes in a clean fashion, with a good amount of description. His portrayal of the characters was very close to the movie (considering he was only working off a script). Luke is a wide-eyed, eager, yet obnoxious teenager. Obi-Wan is wise and very relaxed (the quote I use for my review is one he said in the book, one of the few deviations from the movie), at times almost crazy. Han is a world-weary pilot. Vader is burning with anger. Leia is brave and stalwart. Tarkin is cutthroat and evil.
The book also includes deleted scenes such as Biggs and Luke on Tatooine, Luke going to Anchorhead, and Luke viewing the spacefight while near the vaporators. These scenes add much to the background of Luke; however...

I Didn't Like:
...most of the deleted scenes remain deleted in the audiobook (quite a ripoff if you ask me). If I hadn't read the book ages ago, I wouldn't have known they were gone (the audiobook is basically a dressed up version of the movie).
And this leads to my biggest complaints about this book: One of the reasons people even read novelizations is to learn more about the characters and movie events. In the book of this movie, there is almost nothing new learned about the movie. Sure, there is an insightful section at the beginning, taken from the enigmatic "Journal of the Whills", a quote from Leia, some changes from the movie (Red Squadron is Blue Squadron, Vader has red eyes, etc.), and a lot of Earth references to ducks, smoking pipes, and dogs and the like. But this is nothing like the far superior Revenge of the Sith, which actually surpasses its source material. It's just a fleshed out version of the script: adjectives, adverbs and complete sentences.

Dialogue/Sexual Situations/Violence:
In the book, quite a few d***s and he***s.
Luke is awed by Leia's hologram and becomes jealous when Han shows interest in her.
Luke's aunt and uncle are brutally murdered, along with Jawas.

Overall:
The very first Star Wars book, this book marks the beginning of an age. It has some interesting differences from the movie, but other than that, it isn't enough different from the movie, nor is it brilliantly well-written to recommend reading over watching the movie for the average person. As for Star Wars fans, I recommend they read it once; after that, just watch the movie instead.