The Restaurant at the End of the Universe - Douglas Adams After enjoying both the book and the movie, The Hitchhiker's Guide to the Galaxy, I decided that I absolutely, positively and at all costs read the other books in Douglas Adams hilarious trilogy in five parts.
When we left Zaphod, Ford, Trillian, Arthur, and Marvin, they were on their way for a meal at the Restaurant at the End of the Universe. Now, the five are being attacked by Vogons trying to finish the extermination of the human race (due to orders given them). The five escape, but end up separated. Zaphod lands near the office of the Hitchhiker's Guide to the Galaxy and suddenly begins to remember things that he had buried before becoming president--the steps to who rules the universe and who may be able to provide the Ultimate Question to the Ultimate Answer of Life, the Universe, and Everything.

Good:
Douglas Adams' sense of humor is what really shines in this book. He is adept at creating comical situations, playing on stereotypes and providing a humorous outlet. For example, he satirizes middle-men (i.e. hairdressers, management, etc.) when the middle-men of a certain culture are tricked to leave their planet, leaving behind all the smart people and all the people who do the work the smart people demand.
Furthermore, Douglas Adams bucks the system of creating admirable heroes and heroines. Zaphod is a selfish moron, more interested in being well-fed than other lives (and who doesn't think twice about stealing); Ford is (generally) a spineless hitchhiker. Arthur desires only to have a nice cup of tea, and Trillian doesn't necessarily stick her neck out for anyone else (although she was not very prominent in the book so it would be hard to say).
The story is smart and interesting, with twists and turns that no one would expect. Also, Adams intertwines science in it at appropriate places to make it sound convincing while refusing to let it bog down his story. I enjoyed how it was easy to read and quick as well.

Bad:
The story at times seems to exist mainly to show outrageous situations and make satirical remarks about society. I haven't read the whole series, so I can't quite say if these events make a difference later on, but going from being attacked to talking to a dead man to being transported to a distant planet to being carried from that planet in a building to another planet just makes me want to take a break and nap (and this is only less than halfway through the book!).
Sometimes I felt that the book went by too quickly and ended too abruptly. I won't completely blame the book as several sequels have this element (Empire Strikes Back comes instantly to mind). Also, Trillian and Marvin do not play as much of a role in this one.

Dialogue/Sexual Situations/Violence:
Primarily British invectives, like "bloody".
Girlfriends are mentioned along with Zaphod's desire to be on the beach with 50 beautiful women.
People die during a planet crash. Officers carry guns. Other than that, the violence is rather minimal.

Overall:
There is so much to like about this book that it almost totally eclipses what may be considered "bad". Douglas Adams' writing style is so clean and so hysterically funny that I can easily forgive the rather outrageous plot and the brisk pace. Definitely, if you liked Hitchhiker's, you will enjoy Restaurant.