Better than Life - Grant Naylor I saw this book at the same time I saw "Infinity Welcomes Careful Drivers" and bought both. I enjoyed the movies and figured the books would be insightful.

Plot:
At the end of "Infinity Welcomes Careful Drivers", Lister, Rimmer, Cat, and Kryten were stuck in a video game--"Better than Life". They realized it was unreality, but as they got what they wanted, they didn't care to go back to the real world. In this installation, Rimmer's fantasy starts to tear apart the world, and the remaining crew of the Red Dwarf leaves the game.
Meanwhile, Holly has turned to a talking Toaster for help in regaining his 6000 IQ. Holly's IQ skips to 12000+ but his run-time is down to minutes. He shuts down, unable to help the ship navigate past an imminent black hole.

Good:
One of my complaints with IWCD was that it felt like a screenplay of the TV series. This one repairs this fault considerably, feeling much more original. I enjoyed reading about Lister on garbage world, fighting the acid rain, befriending the cockroaches, the effects of time when in close contact with a black hole (it is cool how the book attempts sometimes to be scientific--just don't trusts the planet pool!), and even reading about the origins of the polymorph. The events were original and exciting. I finished this book in less than a week--a world record for me!
The Toaster was an absolutely hilarious addition to the team. I enjoyed the £19.99 (plus tax) toaster's smarmy remarks, heroic actions, and egotism. I was crushed when he was ground in the garbage masher and rejoiced when Kryten put him back together.
Speaking of Kryten, I enjoyed seeing him convert from an eccentric cleaning mechanoid seen in the episode "Kryten" to the companion of Rimmer, Lister, and Cat in later episodes. The TV series never explains this inconsistency--not that I am that concerned about Red Dwarf continuity (but see below).

Bad:
Towards the end of the book, the authors fall back into rephrasing the TV series. The Polymorph is brought up, the Backwards planet introduced, etc. I like these episodes and reading about them is great; however, if I wanted to read a screenplay of Red Dwarf, I would do so.
While sexual jokes have been reduced from last time (and the TV series), there are just enough that make me cringe. Again, I think good humor is more than commenting on organ size or who did it with whom.
Lastly, while I am pretty care-free concerning Red Dwarf continuity, one thing that does bother me is when Lister (I think Rimmer also does it) recalls his three week dating of Kristine Kochanski. In IWCF, Lister and Kristine only were dating in his mind.

Dialogue/Sexual Situations/Violence:
Dialogue constrained to sh**, mild profanities and some crude British words (of course, I could be wrong as I am American). Sexual situations are pretty common although more restrained in my opinion than in "IWCD. Rimmer is caught trying to fool around with his ex-wife just after getting remarried. A prostitute invades Lister's ideal world. Cat imagines a land with large breasted women. As for violence, Kryten blasts things with a bazokoid. Lister loses an ear lobe in acid rain (gross for people like me!). On the whole though, there isn't much in the violence department that will have you in twitches.

Overall:
Either I am getting used to "Grant Naylor's" writing style, or this is a better book than IWCD. The events are more original and less like a rehash of the TV series. The humor was great (as always). The characters great. Besides frequent sexual references and some falling back to the TV series, this is a great book.