Pride and Prejudice - Jane Austen, Anna Quindlen I was a little nervous when I first decided to put this on my summer reading list. The book was 367 pages of text, close together, justified and not written in easy language (i.e. modern English). I was optimistically hoping to finish it within a month.
But I really liked the movie with Keira Knightley and wanted to see how closely it compared and if it was as good as the movie.
Two weeks later, I am done, and I am pleased with the ride.

Plot:
Mr. Bingley, an eligible, wealthy bachelor, moves nearby the Bennett family, who have five unmarried daughters. The Bennett family must secure good marriages for their daughters since they will inherit nothing when their father dies. Romance is in the air between Jane Bennett and Mr. Bingley, while the first sparks of love appear between the proud, wealthy Mr. Darcy and the exuberant, Elizabeth Bennett.

Good:
There are so many good parts to this book! I don't quite know where to begin!
The characters are believable and real. Elizabeth is a well rounded character. She starts out proud and prejudiced against Mr. Darcy but as she learns of his true quality is not afraid of changing her mind. Mr. Darcy was sweet, opinionated, and equally prejudiced against Elizabeth's "poor connections".
The plot was wonderful and well paced. It kept me on the edge of my seat (although it was not an action book); I couldn't wait to see what would happen on each page.
I enjoyed the arguments between Elizabeth (and her fiesty personality) and Mr. Darcy (stiff and proud). The quips they came up with! The chemistry between the two was perfect!
Lastly, I enjoyed how the author emphasized (via Mr. Bennett) to marry for love and not for money or connections or the like. This is something very much beyond her time (as many marriages in the late 18th century were arranged).

Bad:
Well, this is being exceedingly petty, but the language of this book makes it difficult for a modern reader to fully understand the nuances of what Jane Austen is trying to say (the notes at the appendix help with this, however).

Dialogue/Sexual Situations/Violence
None. Talk is made of how Lydia and an officer run off to live with each other without marrying. None.

Overall:
Sweet. There is no better word for the free-spirited, witty romance between Mr. Darcy and Elizabeth. I would have to say this is the best, purest romance story I have ever read (besides, maybe The Princess Bride). The movie does a fabulous job with the book, but the book is even more enjoyable than the movie (if you can imagine). You will not be displeased with this one.