Right Ho, Jeeves - P.G. Wodehouse "Woosters may quail, but they do not edge out."

Bertram "Bertie" Wooster is playing matchmaker. He's trying to get his old classmate, Gussie Fink-Nottle, together with Miss Angela Bassett and Tuppy and his cousin, Angela, to "kiss and make up". But the best laid plans of mice and men fall flat and before you know it, Bertie's engaged!!

After a slew of depressing books chosen in our Book Club (the last one embarrassingly chosen by yours truly), this was chosen to liven the spirit. If it hadn't been chosen by my book club compatriots, despite seeing a couple of episodes of Fry and Laurie's "Jeeves and Wooster" TV show, I probably would never have read this book--not because I didn't enjoy the TV show, just because it's not something I would typically pick. Which is a shame, because this is a nice little book, pretty funny once you start to "get in the groove".

"Getting in the groove" of the book was my biggest obstacle. Because I was a bit startled to see how goofy the story was and how extreme the characters were. For me, a newbie to this book and this author, I found my previous viewings of the TV show (with the superb actors, Stephen Fry as Jeeves and Hugh Laurie and Wooster) helped me really feel the swing of things. What also helped was realizing that this was NOT to be taken too seriously (I mean, Aunt Dahlia could be pretty mean to Wooster! I probably would have bawled if she told me half the things she said to Wooster).

But once I got into the groove (and started getting a feeling for the writing), I found the humor in the book. Wooster's naivete and ignorance. These silly characters doing silly things. Misconceptions and misinterpretations and silly beliefs of what would make two people fall in love. And of course, Jeeves somehow figuring out how to bring everything back together (though how he did so was a bit disappointing and easy--I guess that was the point, after all, but I was a bit shocked at how easy it was accomplished).

There are a few awkward stereotypes (including a n-word), sexist remarks (how to woo a lady), and my version (Project Gutenberg's free ebook) had a lot of incomplete words (such as "f." or "viz."--some I was able to figure out, others I had to skip and move on). But honestly, I had a good time reading it and wouldn't hesitate to read other Wodehouse books in the future.