30-Day Book Challenge Day 19

The Princess Bride: S. Morgenstern's Classic Tale of True Love and High Adventure - William Goldman

Day 19: Favorite Book Turned into a Movie

As I look over all the books I've read that later became movies, I'm surprised at how many of the books I didn't like (The Time Traveler's Wife, The Girl with the Pearl Earring, Memoirs of a Geisha) became books I didn't half mind.  (Or maybe the books were so bad, ANYTHING was an improvement?)

I'm really at a loss to choose my favorite Book-to-Movie.  Should I pick "Anne of Green Gables", quirky and charming and faithful to the book?  Should I pick "To Kill a Mockingbird", which makes me want to read/watch it again just saying its name?  Should I pick "Stardust" and repeat myself on this list (even though I watched the movie first - is that sacrilege?!)?  Or what about the Lord of the Rings and the Hobbit - I know these movies, particularly The Hobbit, has come under fire for being bloated, but I adored them!

No, wait...I know exactly which book-to-movie!  No contest - "The Princess Bride"!

This is one of those movies I watched before I read the book.  I love both, but in completely different ways.  The book is very satirical, poking at the tropes of the fantasy genre and storytelling in general, while the movie is a bit more straight-up fantasy (with FANTASTIC tongue-in-cheek).

Despite being almost 30 years old, it's a timeless classic, one I enjoy laughing and swooning over every time I watch it.