SPOILER ALERT!

Conclusion: Learning to Trust Your Instincts

Gabriel's Inferno (Gabriel's Inferno, #1) - Sylvain Reynard

Some people are blessed with being able to look at a book’s cover, read the title, read the cover blurb and immediately know whether or not they will love the book. To people like that: I envy you greatly! I have read many books that I thought I would love and hated or thought I would hate and loved. There are a few times where I’m lucky enough to avoid a book where every sign indicates I would hate it, but most of the time, I’m one of those people who has to read a book before I can give a decent opinion.

This is one of those cases where all the signs were telling me that I should turn around now and run. I knew that Gabriel’s Inferno was Twilight fanfiction; I was just hoping that Reynard had done it well, had brought something new to the table. I gathered that this book would have stereotypical portrayals of men and women; I was just hoping that I was wrong, that maybe the men would respect the women, regardless of how frequently and what kind of sex they had.

Although I didn’t enjoy this book very much (at this point, I am on page 254 and I don't know if I can honestly read another word), I can say that it has been a learning experience. I have learned that my gut instinct is a lot more accurate than I give it credit. I have learned that I need to trust my friends’ reviews of a book. And I learned that it takes a whole lot more polishing and effort to take a Twilight fanfiction and make it a great novel.