Runaways, Vol. 5: Escape to New York - Brian K. Vaughan, Adrian Alphona, Takeshi Miyazawa

Bullet Review:

Continuing where vol 4 left off, some big changes are in store for our runaways. They have welcomed a new member, Victor, from last volume, and have been approached by Cloak to clear his name. I will admit, the setup is a bit hokey - the kids are asked to find out who who posed as Cloak who attacked Dagger. I mean, really, your best solution is to ask a bunch of kids?

For the first two issues, the artwork was changed from the previous 4 volumes to what I guess is an anime/manga style (not 100% certain as I don't typically read anime/manga). I wasn't fond of how it changed the characters' appearances - Gert is supposed to be pudgy, but she looks just as lithe and lean as Karolina, for example - but it wasn't horrible.

Really, though, this series stuns me with how GOOD it is. Great characterization (though I wish Molly got more to do), lots of female characters that are more than Love Interests, great humor, love seeing supes pop in (Spidey's humor was awesome!!), and honestly, even with its "flaws", it's still clever and unique. It's a bit irritating how it ends on a cliffhanger of sorts, but the Runaways is fun and enjoyable, a series I have no intentions of abandoning if it keeps going like it has.