A Year of Reading in Review: Disappointing Author

+ Best Books

+ Worst Books

+ Graphic Novel Sound Off

+ Non-Fiction Highlights

+ Yearly Goals - Did I make them?

+ Most Disappointing Books

+ New Favorite Author(s)

+ Promising New Debut Author

+ Disappointing Author - authors whose future books I won't be checking out

+ Hidden Gems - books I didn't think I'd like but did

+ Not All That Glitters Is Gold - Books I thought I'd love but didn't

+ Books I Wanted to Read But Didn't

I love to read, but sometimes you realize when reading a book, that the way the author writes or the subjects her or she tends to write about aren't for you.  While my list for new debut authors was pitifully short (I still blame a lot of that on the fact I didn't read many debut authors this year), this list is a bit longer.

Again, these aren't necessarily bad authors.  Maybe they have talent; maybe they will write an AMAZING sequel.  But when I'm reading, I have a choice.  I can spend a bunch of time on authors whose books I continue to dislike, or I can try to find authors I love and read their books.  While I do like my snarky reads (hence why I keep reading LKH), overall, I LOVE to read GOOD books written by authors I like.

So, without further ado: a few of the authors whom I've crossed off my To Read list:

Top 5 Authors I Won't Be Following:

+ Josin L. McQuein (Arclight) - Sorry, McQuein, this is not personal or anything.  I mean, "Arclight" wasn't the worst book I've ever read in my life.  It's just, what you wrote wasn't what I wanted.  Just as simple as that.  I wish you the best of luck in your journeys; I just won't be following them.

+ Bethany Griffin (Masque of the Red Death) - I really need to thank my Goodreads friend, Willow, for alerting me to the craptastic quality of this book.  It was quite the enjoyment while I read it - though not in the way I'm sure Griffin intended.  In my honest opinion, I'd be more likely to read a future McQuein book than a future Griffin book, just because the McQuein book at least attempted to be original.  While there was a good element of a story, Griffin just seemed to rely on tropes and cliches.  And the writing style...I get first person present is a tough thing, but I didn't care for Griffin's approach to it.

+ Cynthia Hand (Unearthly Trilogy) - As I touched on in an earlier blog post, I cannot express how disappointed I was in the end to the Unearthly series.  I think I can safely claim that "Boundless" made me regret reading the series.  I've considered selling back all but the first book.  Hand doesn't have a bad writing style, but an OK writing style coupled with a washed out ending don't make me excited about the new Hand book.

+ Nicholas Sparks - Of all the authors on my list, THIS is the one I could most easily mark off my "To Follow" list.  In fact, only a couple of pages into "The Notebook", I took all my other Sparks books and sold them back to the bookstore, so bad was "The Notebook".  The guy writes at a second grade level - it's insulting to read.  So superficial, so obvious, so much "blunt-force trauma" narration - I have no clue how he's popular.

+ Jessica Valenti - After the amazing "The Purity Myth", I thought I'd check out some of her other works.  I'm a feminist after all.  Only - wow.  Not impressed.  Very hypocritical, small-minded and judgmental.  Insulting people who don't believe as she does, creating disharmony instead of trying to unite people under a common banner.  And then the lack of professionalism - I get "Full Frontal Feminism" was supposed to be for young women (I guess - the language makes me wonder), but do we need to sling around f-bombs and barely include a Sources List for a NON-FICTION work?  And that was when I finally got it: I was not the person who should be reading Valenti.  We both stand for similar things (women being treated like human beings), but Valenti's audience did not include me.  I wish her luck with the people who are her audience - though I do hope she tones down the judgmental attitude and can try to find common ground with the "anti-sexing Republican prudes" who want to take their fiance's last name.