A Year of Reading in Review: Not All That Glitters Is Gold

+ Best Books

+ Worst Books

+ Graphic Novel Sound Off

+ Non-Fiction Highlights

+ Yearly Goals - Did I make them?

+ Most Disappointing Books

+ New Favorite Author(s)

+ Promising New Debut Author

+ Disappointing Author - authors whose future books I won't be checking out

+ Hidden Gems - books I didn't think I'd like but did

+ Not All That Glitters Is Gold - Books I thought I'd love but didn't

+ Books I Wanted to Read But Didn't

OK, I realize this one is RIDICULOUSLY similar to "Most Disappointing Reads" and "Worst Books".  Because the line between "I thought I'd love but didn't" and "This book disappointed me" is VERY VERY narrow.

But I think I'll define it like this: I walked into this book, thinking it was totally up my alley - and it just turned out to be "OK" or "meh".  Hopefully, that will trim some of the duplicates and get us some new entries for me to talk about!

Top 5 "MEH" Reads of 2013

+ Twenty Thousand Leagues Under the Sea - My sister and my dad (former Navy submariner) refuse to recognize I'm related to them after I said I thought this book was "OK, but kinda boring".  Both of them LOVED ADORED SQUEEEED over the book - and I thought there were too many catalogs of fish. Zzzzzzzz...

+ Hawkeye vol 1: My Life as a Weapon - After the amazing Avengers movie, I was super excited about checking out graphic novels based on the characters, most especially Hawkeye.  While I liked the art style of the first few issues, overall, I was just "meh" about it - even though I ended up rating it 4 stars because it was technically good.  I just had absolutely no desire to continue the series, a weird feeling when there wasn't anything "wrong" with the graphic novel.

+ Sandman vol 1: Preludes & Nocturnes - While I was on my Gaiman kick, I picked up this graphic novel.  Again, beautiful art style, really fascinating concept - but I just couldn't see myself shelling out more and more and more money for the rest of the volumes.  It was good, but I wasn't compelled to read more.  I have thought about checking out subsequent volumes at the library - maybe with less pressure on the pocketbook, I'll be able to enjoy the series.

+ Dreamland - I thought I would learn a lot more about the weird science of sleep in this book.  Other than a few odds and ends, it was pretty much stuff I had heard or known already.  Again, nothing ostensibly BAD, just very "been there, done that".

+ Queen of the Damned - After devouring "Interview with the Vampire" and "The Vampire Lestat", I thought I would love this book just as much.  Unfortunately, it was quite a bit different in scope and tone and I felt mostly bored.  It could have been because I had read the three book straight through and was suffering Vampire Chronicles burnout, but I still ended up feeling pretty "meh" about it in the end.

Repeat Offenders:

See this link for reasons why they disappointed me.

+ Wolf Hall