A Year of Reading in Review: Conclusion

By the time this year is over, I will have read/listened to 130 books or graphic novels.  And although some of those items are short (such as the My Little Pony Friendship Is Magic single issues), the point is: I got to read a LOT of books.

Looking back, for the most part, I am happy about my reading choices.  I DNF'd a few books, which has been notoriously difficult for the completist in me.  I got to read a few classics (though not as many as I'd like).  And I got to really explore: new authors, new genres, lots of new non-fiction.  Overall, I'm a happy camper.

But looking back also makes me look forward to 2014.  I know that you aren't supposed to do New Year's Resolutions, because you never actually do them anyway, but I want a few goals for the next year.  So, based on 2013, here is my final list:

Top 5 Goals for 2014

1. Go through the Mountainous To-Read pile.  I have 383 books in my "To Read" pile, which represents all the books I own that I haven't yet read.  This past year, I focused a lot on classics and nonfiction; for 2014, I want to focus on reading more of these books and weeding through the pile.  Which leads to my next point:

2. DNF more books.  This seems like an absolutely insane bullet point - who WANTS to quit a book?!  But the thing is, I know there are quite a few books in my 383 pile that I wouldn't like.  The problem is, I won't know until I try to read.  I need to stop feeling like I have to finish a book or never even start it and just find out.  Maybe I'll love it; maybe I'll need to wait for another time; or maybe I'll need to send it on its way.

3. Finish a series.  Currently, I'm reading Sookie Stackhouse, Anita Blake, and the Vampire Chronicles, but I've also read TONS of other books in series, such as the Dresden Files, Mercy Thompson, Outlander, Game of Thrones, and more.  This year, I would like to take ONE of these and finish them.

4. Read 6 classics, read 12 non-fiction.  While I greatly underperformed my classics goal for 2013, I did like that I attempted to read classics and was VERY happy about my non-fiction results.  This I want to repeat for next year, slightly modified - less classics, more non-fiction.

5. More library.  Like I said above, I have 383 books in my personal library, and a bunch of those are probably books I'll end up feeling "meh" about.  While I love love LOVE books, I also love having money in the bank.  So this year, I want to reduce my book spending.  (NOTE: "reduce" not "eradicate")  So that means: library here I come!

2013 was a great year for many reasons.  I got healthy and fit, I ran my first 5K, I have a boyfriend, I enjoy my job (on most days - hey, no one's perfect!), and I got to read a lot of great books.  From this vantage point, 2014 looks to be equally amazing!!