The Sourcebook for Dating - Geek Style!

The Geek's Guide to Dating - Eric  Smith

How this book got into my hands is a rather fun story. I actually had never heard of it until I was perusing my library's ebook selection and saw it as an available loan. Being a geek (though not one currently in the market), I couldn't pass up the opportunity.

I also couldn't help but check it out here. It turns out, one of the most prominent "reviews" also had an interesting discussion on the "geek girls" phenomenon. At that point, I was hoping this book wouldn't turn out to support that "fake geek girls" bullcrap.

That was when I got a message from the author, asking if I would like a free copy. Well, I knew I wouldn't be able to finish the ebook in 7 days, being the Slowest Reader on the Planet, so I accepted.

So first off, thank you, Eric Smith, for sending me this free copy!!

On the whole, this book was a riot. It was funny, it was upbeat, it was full of great geekisms that didn't strike me as someone desperately pretending to be a nerd/geek while totally missing the mark. (There is nothing worse than someone misspelling "Boba Fett" or mangling up "Live Long and Prosper" in an attempt to "get" us geeks.) That said, if you aren't on the up-and-up on multiple geek franchises, don't be surprised if you end up lost. (And if you liked "Matrix Reloaded" or "Matrix Revolutions" - I'm sorry.)

The dating advice is what I would say is your "standard" dating advice, although framed for the "geek" audience who will get the 80 bajillion varied geekisms. It's really nothing new, even for someone like me who has been on a whopping 3 dates in her entire life. That said, there were some tips and tricks and insights that were decidedly focused on the shy, the innocent, and the n00bs among us geeks.

Probably the biggest "disappointment" for me, is the fact that most of the book is addressed to the Geek Guy trying to date a girl (either geek or non-geek). While I do appreciate how the author included a section at the beginning saying that there WERE geek girls (and denouncing the "fake geek girl" phenomenon) and that this book could easily be modified for them, I have to ask - why not just tweak the book and make it for either sex? Yes, certain sections - such as trimming facial hair - would change, but on the whole, it wouldn't be that much of a change. It also pretty much assumes the heterosexual Guy/Girl arrangement too, so Geek Guys looking for fellow Geek Guys (or Geek Girls looking for Geek Girls) may feel similarly "left out".

I'll also add I've read parts of the ebook and the hardcover, and I like the hardcover MUCH better. The 8-bit pictures (which are delightfully cute in the hardcover) and having mini-essays in the middle of a section make it VERY challenging to see in the ebook.

BUT if you can get around that, if you can just look past the strict guy/girl, this really is a delightfully funny book. And even though much of the advice you've heard elsewhere, there ARE some tips that are particularly useful for the shy, inexperienced geeks among us. I definitely feel it's worth checking out!