It's OVER?! What do I do with my life???!

The Mad Scientist's Daughter - Cassandra Rose Clarke

Bullet Review:

I am totally in love with this book, probably the first time since "Ready Player One". And if you know me, you will realize how BIG that is.

5 thousand stars. And where the hell is my Finn??!?

Full Review:

Caterina Novak is the daughter of Daniel Novak, a "mad scientist" who specializes in cybernetics. As a younger girl, Daniel brings home Finn, an android, to tutor his daughter. Through the years, Cat grows to see Finn as less a machine and more of a man. But does Finn love her back? Can he love her? Should she even bother?

Let's just cut to the chase: I love this book. I love this book to the depths of my soul. I sped through half of the book and then didn't want to finish, it was so good.

This book really doesn't seem like the type of book that I would love. I mean, I love science fiction, and I love romance, but this book isn't really either. It's post-apocalyptic-science-fiction-romance-character-study-drama. Like Diana Gabaldon's "Outlander" series, it defies categorizing. Like Gabaldon's series, it isn't just a romantic story, it isn't just about the science-gizmos, it's not just about a terrible thing that happened in the past that made Kansas a desert.

But maybe that's why I love the book so much. Maybe because the book is more than just a girl wanting to hump a guy or a wallpaper science fiction novel is why I want to squeeze and hug and love this book to death.

Maybe I love this book because the characters and situations, while maddeningly frustrating, are so gorram real. Cat is one of the most selfish, unlikable, lazy, unmotivated protagonists I've read in awhile. And yet, I liked her. I know, it's weird, but I could understand a lot of the reasons why she did what she did. I got why she ran off to college. I got her responses to other character's death. I understand why she married who she did. It made sense to me - even as I was yelling at her not to do it.

And all the characters were this way - Finn, Daniel, Richard, Cat's mom, Cat's art friends. They weren't bad, they weren't good, they were PEOPLE. Believable, relatable, realistic people, warts and all.

Or maybe I love this book because at the end of the day, it's more a character study, more about the humanity of the machine and the machinations of humanity than it is about Girl Meets Boy and Wants In His Pants. Is it wrong for Cat to love Finn, to be intimate with him, when he has no feelings? Can machines love? What does it all mean, when you get more feelings from a machine than a human being?

No, this isn't perfect. There are slow spots. There are maddening character decisions. And the book is rather melancholy, right up until the very end. And speaking of the end, gorrammit, why was it so gorram short?! All this time, and we get a couple of pages and BOOM! Over?! WRONG!

BUT I DON'T CARE! I love the writing, I love the characters, I love how it is more than it seems from the outside, I LOVE THIS BOOK.